Friday, February 5, 2010

Some of our patients






This is just a small sampling of the kinds of cases we see here, some sad, but the occasional heartwarming ones too:

(From the bottom to the top)
1. Sepsis (our vent patient is doing well, possibly extubated tomorrow)
2. Cast changes
3. Extremity amputations, in this case 6 year old boy had an above elbow amputation
4. Infected wounds get washed out.
5. For the first time, I was able to show this woman that her baby was alive and doing fine. She, I, and her neighbors were cheering and crying. Truly one of the most heartwarming moments of my life...

3 comments:

  1. Why does all of this remind me of the old "MASH" TV show and the movie? And who is in charge of controlling Dr. Walsh down there? I assume that by now, Mark has fully emerged into, and is completely relishing, his role as the "Hawkeye Pierce" of the new MASH Unit in Haiti! [FYI, Mark & I were roommates at ND many, many years ago. I know him only too well.] God bless all of you as you continue your wonderful work for all of those in such desperate need down there in Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checking in. Keep the updates coming. The prayers for the people of Haiti and your safe returns home continue!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joey, thanks for keeping us informed of your mission. We are following this heroic work from upstate New York. We are praying for you and for those you are treating.
    Let me add to Mr. McCauley's remarks. As another Farley Hall roommate of Dr. Mark, I must caution: keep your eyes on him at all times....believe all things he says about medicine....only half of what he says about things non-medical. But you knew this, right?
    Hub Miller

    ReplyDelete